Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Thoughts after realitively no sleep

Here's my top five interesting happenings from airport travel today, none of which are in any particular order.

1).  Anyone that knows me should be unbelievably impressed that I packed everything I needed for the month ahead in a carry on suitcase and a backpack (my close friends and family are gasping I'm sure!)  I have to admit that I'm a little impressed with myself too!  Due to being selective in my packing, please don't judge me for wearing the same clothes in nearly every other picture that you'll see on this blog.  :)  Also, those of you that know I like a little jewelry, should know that I only brought three things: 1 pair of earrings, watch, and wedding ring (I think I hear more gasps?!)  

2).  Facebook friends have already heard number 2, but for everyone else....I was somewhat surprised when the TSA agent in Tulsa asked if I was military because of using words like "sir", "please", and "thank you".  I didn't even realize I was using said words until he pointed it out, just makes me wonder why this isn't the norm?!

3).  I'll preface #3 by saying I'm notorious for learning lessons the hard way. I definitely made a careless, hopefully not costly mistake with my passport and plane tickets.  I was under the impression that it was perfectly acceptable to travel with your maiden name on your passport if you had the marriage license in hand.  I've learned the hard way that if the passport includes the maiden name then all the airline tickets should also include the maiden name because if I've heard it once today, I've heard it too many times to count that "the passport name must match the ticket".  I was almost not allowed on my connecting flight from Chicago to London due to this problem, and have been told that I might be rejected in other countries.  I'm wondering if there is anyway to get my last name changed on the rest of my plane tickets, or if its too late at this point.  If you have any ideas, please share!

4).  International flights with personal tv's are a life savor when dealing with insomnia.  I watched two movies, and then watched the navigational system that showed where our plane was in relation to the world.  Pretty interesting!

5).  On the flight from Chicago to London I sat next to an English couple traveling back home after visiting the husbands family in Missouri.  It wasn't until we landed that we began talking.  The wife shared some interesting ideas of things to see and do when I come back to London at the end of the month, but what I was most impressed with was their thoughtful hospitality.  The husband gave me his business card and said to call if I needed anything when I'm back in London in 3 weeks.  I certainly hope I wouldn't need them, but the gesture was really sweet and certainly comforting.

I've made it to Ede's house and her hometown is so adorable.  I think we are about to go for a walk to the river that runs through the town in just a little while.  By this point I'm trying not to sleep, but I'm starting to feel and look like death.  I need a good shower and some good sleep tonight.  I'll try to post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow. Until then! :)

2 comments:

  1. I hate learning lessons the hard way! :/ Hang in there and we'll pray your way through Europe! ;)Enjoy your week with Ede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie and I pray every morning for the Lord to pave the way with any officials you come in contact with on this trip. As you know, I feel your pain=) At least we are in good company!

    ReplyDelete