Sunday, July 21, 2013

Last day in Italy--out with a "Buzz"

We started the day touring the Vatican Museum, which includes the "Sistine Chapel".  If you've never seen the Sistine Chapel it is just as amazing and intricate as you've always heard.  With everything that we saw in Rome, I kept thinking 'wow, this is actually "it"'.  You hear and read about all of these places, but to actually see them is a whole new experience.  








After a stop for lunch we went to St. Peter's Basillica, which as it should puts every other cathedral/basillica to shame.  We also went underneath the Basillica and saw where some popes and other prominent people are buried.  The neatest part was seeing where the remains of the apostle Peter are buried.  I'm having trouble finding a word that describes how incredibly neat that was to see.  








After we left St. Peter's Basillica we had probably the best gelato that we've had all week at a place in that area called, "Old Bridge".  I had strawberry, chocolate, and cookies with biscotti which was absolutely delicious!  I guess we had dessert first that night because shortly after we finished our gelato we walked around a little bit more, and then ate pizza one last time.  



My initial entry would probably end here, but it wouldn't be a Lance & Michelle vacation without one last "story".... Lance and I finally went to bed around 12:30 in the morning, and I realized I forgot to turn the bathroom light off.  I should preface the rest of this by saying that there are 4 different light switches in this bathroom.  3 are side by side in one place (one of which Lance and I neither one could figure out what it's purpose was) and the other one was by the bathroom mirror close to the shower.   I was unaware of the one that was by the mirror partially because it wasn't a normal light switch and in my mind was slightly camouflaged, hence the story... So I went to turn off the light and went to the three that were side by side to turn it off and couldn't figure out why the light wasn't turning off.  Lance said "go to the one that is by the mirror".  So then I noticed a string that was hanging down beside the mirror in between the mirror and the shower and thought "oh it must be an old type of light switch that is connected to a string" (let me preface this by saying this was not my brightest moment), and so I pulled the string.  All of sudden an extremely loud buzzer starts ringing throughout the entire hotel.  Apparently I pulled the switch that basically means "I've fallen in the shower and need help" or something of that nature.  It's ringing SO loud, and neither one of us could figure out how to turn it off.  So the owner/manager of the hotel comes to our room, by this point Lance is completely under the covers because he was so embarrassed.  If you know Lance you would know that he is a rule follower and is not one to ever make a scene.  He will even refuse to order something on a menu if it means that he will have to special order it, so needless to say this really wasn't humorous to him at all.  If you remember that mystery light switch that I was mentioning earlier, well we now know that it's used to turn off the emergency buzzer.  :)  Fortunately after I got back into bed, Lance and I both got a really good laugh out of it.   The next morning Chris asked if we knew anything about that ridiculously loud and annoying alarm that happened in the middle of the night...'well we actually do...'

*I guess we were "going out with a bang" or in this case a 'buzz'...

No comments:

Post a Comment