Monday, July 8, 2013

McDonalds--my first nights oasis

On Friday I flew into Salzburg, and thankfully had no problems with my passport in the airport (thank you Lord!).  I arrived at the Frohnburg, which is my accomodation for the week.  It is right next to the Orff Institute.  You might recognize it in the "Sound of Music"?!  The front of the building was the outside of the Von Trapp family's house.  The street leading up to the palace, the one Marie walked down with her suitcase in hand, is the street you can take by foot or bike to get to the main part of the city.




After getting settled in and realizing that the wifi connection wasn't strong enough to facetime my family, it was getting closer to 6:00 and I was hungry. At this point it starts pouring outside, so I put my rainjacket and flip flops on, and headed to the busiest street nearby.  Unfortunately there were no eating places in sight, so I chose a direction and hoped for the best.  After a 30 minute walk I found a supermarket, and realized I should probably get some snacks and something to keep in my room for breakfast.  I asked the lady at the check-out counter if there was a restaurant close by and she mentioned a McDonalds back in the direction of the Frohnburg (hotel/dorm).  At this point in the conversation I realized that grocery stores here don't offer complimentary plastic/paper bags, so I put my things in the plastic bag that my bananas were in.  I craddled the bag so it wouldn't rip and walked 20 minutes back in the direction that I came from to get to the McDonalds.  By the time I got to the McDonalds, I lost a flip flop trying to cross the road quickly, and my bag ripped just as I was walking through the McDonalds door.  Thankfully I was able to get my undamaged flip flop back, and the sweet McDonalds guy gave me a paper sack to put my grocery items in.  The high calorie dinner that followed never tasted so good, and by the time I left McDonald's the rain had stopped in enough time for me to walk back to the Frohnburg (approx. 15 min walk).  I'm not gonna lie it was not the best first night by myself in Austria, but thankfully the next day was absolutely wonderful.


1 comment:

  1. These kinds of happenings always make for better stories and memories anyway!

    ReplyDelete